Youth Mentor at Rungano-Ndota Initiatve (RNI) at Rungano-Ndota Initiative (RNI), Benimpuhwe
- Company: Rungano-Ndota Initiative (RNI), Benimpuhwe
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Kigali Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Rwanda
YOUTH MENTOR AT RUNGANO-NDOTA INITIATVE (RNI)
BENIMPUHWE is a local non-profit organization legally recognized in 1995. It is implementing various projects in 11 districts of Rwanda. The organization provides assistance to the vulnerable women, orphans, and other vulnerable children and youth so as to improve their livelihood and sustain adequate living conditions.
BENIMPUHWE ORGANIZATION is implementing Rungano-Ndota project among others.
This project was created by a Founding Team of 15 young leaders from Ruhango District. Our vision and effort catalyzed a new initiative that helps vulnerable youth develop as leaders and entrepreneurs, using an innovative experiential, community-building approach. In 2017 Rungano-Ndota Initiative started working officially in the District. Some of the Founding Team now serve as staff.
Since then the program has improved the livelihoods of 200 vulnerable youth in the district. We designed Rungano-Ndota to build a truly empowering path for vulnerable youth so they can develop not only as leaders and entrepreneurs but also develop entrepreneurial mindsets in all their life. The goal of the program is to empower a community of vulnerable youth as holistic leaders who are able to secure their livelihoods for future and help others at the same time.
RNI’s program in a district is operated by a staff with a volunteer Leadership Team that comes from the community. Our approach starts with mentoring to guide youth’s choices regarding their wellness and their livelihood. Monthly program days bring the entire group together to practice leadership skills and develop entrepreneurial abilities, all in an active, experiential style that unlocks their potential. From that foundation, youth develop pathways for their livelihoods – including vocational training, individual entrepreneurship, and cooperative businesses with their peers. We keep coaching and helping them operate and sustain their businesses over a period of four years. After graduation, youth will continue to be involved through alumni activities.
We have developed RNI in collaboration with Rwanda Youth Partnership, our partners in the USA. Through this partnership we interact with supporters and mentors from the USA and other countries who support our mission. Together we are planning to scale up the program in other districts of the country.
Position Title: Youth Mentor
General responsibilities for all Rungano-Ndota program staff:
- Participate constructively in the RNI community and establish friendly relationships with youth
- Help design and facilitate Rungano Program Days and Alumni Forums
- Support some individual youth as a mentor and through an annual home visit
- Facilitate sector cluster mentoring groups
- Help design and facilitate in RNI Business Bootcamp and Business Idea Generation Day
- Coach at least one youth cooperative business and sometimes youth personal businesses
- For Staff Development Retreats and accompanying the Annual RYP Delegation, occasionally continue work through a weekend or overnight away from home
- Participate in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Help prepare and implement virtual events organized by Rungano-Ndota with Rwanda Youth Partnership
- Support colleagues with their responsibilities through feedback and helping each other
Responsibilities for this particular job:
- Coordinate with the staff team to support the personal wellness of all RNI youth by designing and implementing strategies for one-to-one and group mentoring
- Design and implement special support for youth returning from Iwawa National Rehabilitation Center, raising children as single parents, or living with disabilities
- Identify outside counseling resources and build partnerships to benefit RNI youth who need more support
- Coordinate RNI’s annual youth home visits
- Design and implement Sector Cluster Mentoring groups
- Coordinate annual TVET recruitment and selection; English classes, and “School Success” workshops
- Bring the staff team additional resources and development as mentors
- Maintain records and complete reports as required
Essential Qualifications and Required Skills:
All Rungano-Ndota staff :
- Possess reliable, clear teamwork communication style, with colleagues, youth, and external partners
- Possess a deep understanding of the barriers faced by youth who are not in formal education and employment – coupled with an equal belief in their potential for success
- Demonstrate ability to build positive, empowering relationships with vulnerable youth
- Have high integrity and ethical behavior in all they do
- Are Rwandan by nationality and thoroughly understand the context of the country
- Are young themselves, because the work requires flexibility, travels, and working with youth
- Have mid to high-level skills in MS Word and Excel
- Are fluent in spoken and written Kinyarwanda and English
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the organization.
For this particular job:
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, psychology, social work, mental health, or related field.
- 1+ years experience working with vulnerable youth
- Experience with the dynamics of addiction and recovery is an added advantage
–The youth mentor shall work under the supervision of the district coordinator
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit their application through [email protected] and copy to [email protected] Include a cover letter and CV, along with a one-page sketch discussing the scenario below. In your cover letter, you are welcome to explain any parts of your professional, academic, or personal life experience that truly motivate you to pursue this job.
Deadline: September 24th , 2021 at 5:00 pm.
To help us understand your vision and approach to working with youth, please address the following scenario:
You discovered some RNI youth who have challenges to progress effectively as other youth in the program. Imagine that you can create a series of mentorship sessions to empower these youth.
In a sketch of no more than one page, please describe the first group mentorship session you would lead in a series of meetings to help these youth continue their journey of leadership development.
Overall, how could a session of 2 hours go? Describe the main ideas and possible activities you have in mind. In addition to that first session, please list the overall topics that you would address in the next three mentorship sessions.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be invited for a written test!
BENIMPUHWE is an equal opportunity employer we are committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, religion, gender, physical disability or other basis protected by Rwandan law.
Women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply!
- In compensation for service rendered, BENIMPUHWE will offer a monthly salary, health & maternity insurance, and pension savings insurance;
- All staff benefit from different training organized by the project
- All staff also benefit from collaboration and coaching discussions with international colleagues whom we meet through our US-based partners