Technical Lead at Youth Development Labs
- Company: Youth Development Labs
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Kigali Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Rwanda
YLabs is a leading global design and research organization working to improve health and economic opportunity for young people 10–24 years old. Founded in 2014 at the Harvard Innovation Lab, YLabs partners with young people in sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, and Central America to design, test, and advocate for youth-driven solutions that address key challenges to young people’s health and economic opportunity worldwide. YLabs’ focus areas are sexual/reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, mental health, and economic inclusion. Find out more about our projects here: https://www.ylabsglobal.org/work
Our team of physicians, designers, economists, public health professionals, and educators bring a unique mix of human-centered design, adolescent health, evaluation, economic and health outcome evaluation, behavioral science, and implementation know-how to the global problems facing youth.
We have offices in the US and Rwanda, and are currently supporting our teams to work remotely during COVID-19 in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
We’re looking for an established public health leader to join YLabs’ technical team as a Technical Lead. This role is to be based in Kigali, Rwanda, and will report directly to the Technical Director.
In this role, the Technical Lead will support the development and leadership of our Technical team, with a focus on providing guidance and expertise on YLabs’ portfolio of projects on topics pertaining to sexual and reproductive health, HIV, mental health, and financial inclusion. They will contribute to organizational learning and professional development of YLabs technical team of epidemiologists, behavioral scientists, content developers, and research associates. They will work in partnership with the Technical Director to support the growth, development, and leadership of our global technical team, and will sit on YLabs’ global leadership team to guide the strategy of the organization and develop and track strategic objectives.
The ideal candidate will be excited to work with a dynamic interdisciplinary team of designers and public health professionals to support the development of design solutions for some of the biggest challenges facing young people globally. They will provide public health expertise to support the design and evaluation of programs aimed to improve adolescent health and livelihoods; ensuring that YLabs’ work is high-quality, impactful, and helps us achieve our strategic goals. They will work to understand community perspectives, build and test prototypes, and implement and evaluate solutions that improve young people’s health and economic opportunity. They’ll help craft and disseminate compelling storytelling for a variety of audiences about our work and the young people and communities with whom we design in partnership.
In addition to providing public health expertise to YLabs’ portfolio of projects, this individual will also be responsible for building strong relationships with our existing partners (including donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, and other NGOs) and work with the global growth team to contribute to the business development process.
- Ten or more years of professional experience in public health (research, program design, or implementation)
- Experience providing supervisory support to global teams
- Experience overseeing quality assurance for external deliverables
- Fluency in quantitative and qualitative research methods across the research process, from research protocol development, to data collection and analysis, to reporting and presenting work
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills with attention to addressing power differentials, and ensuring equity in our work and in our organization
- Strong project management skills; able to effectively communicate with supervisor and team members about work flow and prioritization of deliverables
- Prior work experience with youth programming
- Research ethics including safeguarding and protection
- Experience in scoping and developing new project proposals and partnerships
- Experience cultivating relationships with existing and potential new partners/funders
- Professional fluency in another language
- Experience with the human-centered design process
- Enthusiastic about supporting and growing a vibrant, multidisciplinary technical team
- A thoughtful leader who makes decisions with trust and transparency; you are collaborative and consultative in your workstyle.
- Committed to building trusting, convivial working relationships that support wellness, creativity, and collective joy
- Excited about the prospect of mentoring, teaching, and training others, including colleagues, partners, and global audiences
- Adaptable, optimistic, and flexible when faced with changing circumstances and challenges
- A pro at prioritization, delegation, and helping others prioritize and delegate as needed
- Willing to work flexible hours to accommodate evening calls with the US-based YLabs team
- Fluent in English
Under normal circumstances, this role would be based out of the YLabs Rwanda office. Given the current circumstances due to COVID-19, it is possible to conduct this role remotely within GMT+0 to GMT+4. There is an expectation that this role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda once normal office life resumes. Relocation benefits are provided for this role.
YLabs adheres to Project Fair’s principles and standards to establish equity in pay with the overriding principle of “equal pay for work of equal value” outlined in the Sustainable Development Goals. All salary ranges are based on level within the organization and are competitive to regional and national salary benchmarks, based on the respective office location.
The salary range for this position is gross RF46,125,000 – RF58,375,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
Method of Application
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Technical Lead.”
This posting will be open from June 14th to July 30th, 2021. Once the application period closes, all applications will be reviewed by our Hiring Committee.
YLabs recognizes the effort that goes into submitting an application; all candidates will be notified of their application status once the hiring process begins. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. All YLabs offers of employment are conditional on satisfactory background check and criminal record clearances.
The deadline: 10th July 2021