Nurse -Migration Health at International Organization For Migration (IOM)
- Company: International Organization For Migration (IOM)
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Rwanda
Open to Internal and External Candidates
IOM MHAC Kigali, Rwanda
Type of Appointment
General Service Staff, Grade G5 (UN salary Scale
for GS staff
One year Fixed term, with possibility of
Estimated Start Date Reference Code
As soon as possible
VN 2022/11 -RW
30 May 2022
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) or Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) Senior Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in KIGALI , RWANDA.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1.Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic
(MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the
a.Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity;
- Blood, urine or sputum collection as required;
e.Treatment and referrals;
f.Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
g.Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
h.Other technical areas as may be required.
2.Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
3.Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
4.Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC;
5.Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location;
6.Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable;
7.Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention and management as appropriate;
8.Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary
9.Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable
10.Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as Necessary.
11.Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination);
12.Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable;
13.Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format;
14.Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Nursing Degree with a minimum of three years relevant clinical experience and a valid license to practice nursing in RWANDA
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
Fluency in English. Working knowledge of French and Kinyarwanda is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Accountability – Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Client Orientation – Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries;
- Continuous Learning – Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Communication – Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures;
- Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Presents goals as shared interests;
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others;
- Professionalism – Masters subject matter related to responsibilities;
- Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment;
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications by sending a motivation letter and the updated CV to the to [email protected] by 30 May 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the reference code, the Position title as well as candidate’s names
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a completed Personnel History Form (please download and fill it) and an application letter (not more than one page)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 16.05.2022 to 30.05.2022