NELSAP Regional Coordinator (Regional Position) at Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program
- Company: Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Rwanda
The Regional Program Coordinator shall head the coordination unit for the implementation of the Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Programs in realization of the objective of NELSAP which is to contribute towards eradication of poverty, promotion of economic growth and reversal of environmental degradation. The Regional Program Coordinator plays a leading role in facilitating, supporting and strengthening the identification, preparation and implementation supervision processes for NELSAP projects for the benefit of riparian countries.
2. Accountability and Reporting
The Regional Program Coordinator will report and be accountable to the NELCOM, through the NELTAC in a format and schedule as required. He/she will supervise the program officers, the senior economist, the finance and administration manager as well as the procurement specialist; and other senior officers as the program expands.
The functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
– Provides overall leadership and coordination of the Nile Equatorial lakes Subsidiary Action Program;
– Preparation of Terms of Reference for supervising the consultancies and support their implementation;
– Track and implement the NELTAC strategic plan and prepare its review for the next 5 years before the expiry of the running plan period.
– Assist NEL-TAC in the procurement of consultants, and required staff, to support the preparation of the NELSAP projects;
– Provide administrative support to the NEL-TAC Chairperson in his/her regular communications with the NEL-TAC members regarding steps taken in pursuit of the NELSAP strategic plan;
– Undertake appropriate communication activities as `instructed by the NEL-TAC in its liaison with donor partners, governments and civil society;
– Coordinate and supervise ongoing sub basin projects as directed by NEL-TAC and NEL-COM;
– Coordinate capacity building including implementation of short term training courses for the NEL-Country experts;
– Initiate and coordinate provision of value-added services that could typically generate income for NELSAP-CU and deliver greater value to countries and financiers ;
– Develop and empower staff with broader competence to deliver value to member countries;
– Strengthen knowledge-based decision making processes while taking into account of complex drivers and varying implementation environment;
– Develop and implement effective institutional systems and processes;
– Secure long-term commitments from financiers and countries that support the financial sustainability of the program and the roll-out of medium as well as long term strategic plans;
– Ensure effective contract for administration and management for constructors and consultancy services and other services
– Any other activities assigned, as need arises from time to time by the NELCOM, through the NEL-TAC.
4. Qualifications and experience:
– The Regional Program Coordinator shall be a university graduate with a post graduate degree or its equivalent in engineering, economics, natural sciences, water resources or other water and environmental resources related discipline; from recognized university.
– Competence and experience in strategic water resources management issues, including capacity building;
– Conversant with working relationships on international or regional governance organs/mechanisms;
– At least 10 years’ experience in, Project preparation, management and supervision, including regional cooperation programs.
– Familiarity with the region is an advantage;
– Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of French will be an advantage
– Strong interpersonal skills to be able to work and facilitate complex regional and sub-regional project preparation processes;
– Computer literacy and working knowledge of commonly used software;
– Ability to travel extensively in the Nile Equatorial Lakes region;
– Excellent written, presentation, and reporting skills;
– Knowledge of working with Development Partners (Sida, AfDB, World Bank, KfW, JICA, EU,) especially on project management procedures is an advantage; and
– Proven knowledge and skills on resource mobilization for projects and programs.
– Experience in contract administration of consultancy services and works of large infrastructures projects
– Experience in managing and utilizing the strength of multi-discipline teams at NELSAP-CU
5. Performance indicators:
-The program objectives are efficiently achieved at acceptable cost compared with alternative approaches;
-The program achieves satisfactory progress towards attaining stated results;
-NELCOM and NELTAC are provided with timely and relevant information as a reliable basis for making informed decisions;
-Maintenance of effective liaison and communication with other NBI centres and donor partners.
-Development of a strong technical capacity and reputation;
-Involvement of NELSAP stakeholders and securing partnerships
6. Duty Station. The NEL SAP CU Coordinator will be stationed at the NELSAP CU Secretariat, Kigali, Rwanda, but shall travel extensively in the Nile Equatorial Lakes Region, and elsewhere, as need arises.
7. Employment Terms. The appointment will be on contract for 3 years renewable once based on performance with the initial 6 months as probation period. However, performance evaluation will be done every year and any unsatisfactory performance may lead to termination of contract.
Method of ApplicationInterested and qualified candidates are invited to apply by submitting a cover letter, curriculum vitae and academic documents including the date of birth and nationality by Tuesday 2nd February 2021 before 17:00hours Rwanda time, addressed to the Acting NELSAP Regional Coordinator, through email: [email protected]
with copy to [email protected]. The e-mail application subject title should clearly indicate “NELSAP Regional Coordinator”.
All applications must be delivered via e-mail to the addresses mentioned above. Only candidates who meet the requirements and are short-listed for the interview will be contacted.