NELSAP Program Officer, Water Resources Management and Development-WRMD (Regional Position) at Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program
- Company: Nile Equatorial Lakes Subsidiary Action Program
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Rwanda
The role of the NELSAP Program Officer, in charge of Water Resources Management and Development, is to facilitate, support and strengthen the identification, preparation and implementation supervision processes for NELSAP natural resources management and development projects for the benefit of all riparian countries. The Program Officer assists the NELSAP Regional Coordinator in areas of planning, management and monitoring of the NELSAP sub program of Natural Resources Management and Development.
2. Accountability and Reporting: The Program Officer will report and be accountable to the NELSAP Regional Coordinator in a format and schedule as required. He/she will supervise the project managers, the water resources engineer, the Environmental management Specialist, the Water Resources Officer (Database/GIS and modeler) and other regional staff under water resources portfolio as needs arise;
The functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the Regional Coordinator in applying the NELSAP operational strategy in project portfolio management for supported national and trans-boundary natural resources sector operations, and in strategic expansion of the portfolio; and in updating and further developing the operational strategy when required;
- Undertake and/or lead multi-disciplinary teams in project identification, preparation, implementation supervision and completion of regional investment projects in the NELSAP countries
- Supervise projects under the Natural Resources Management portfolio to ensure that they are well prepared, are accomplishing the intended objectives and recommend any necessary corrective measures
- Provide advice and technical assistance/supervision to consultancies under the NELSAP projects
- Participate in program Monitoring and Evaluation of Natural Resources management Projects;
- Undertake coordination activities with regional programs and development partners when delegated;
- Participate in the procurement of consultants and works under the NELSAP projects;
- Assist in the coordination of the capacity building activities, including the implementation of short-term training courses for NEL country experts;
- Assist in Resource Mobilization ensuring that resources are secured for project preparation and implementation of identified investments;
- Any other duties assigned by the NELSAP Regional Coordinator
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Physical Sciences or related fields with a Master of Science degree or its equivalent in Water Resources Engineering, Water Resources Management, Environmental Management, Hydro-informatics, Hydraulic Engineering, Hydrology, Hydrogeology or other related fields;
- At least 10years’ experience in project and program management and coordination, including competence and experience in strategic water resources planning and implementation of water resources projects;
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking project cycle activities particularly project identification, preparation and appraisal and preparation of operational strategies and action plans;
- Demonstrated and proven knowledge of developing a multi-sector/multipurpose program in the field of water resources management and development;
- Proven ability to build and lead a team of professional staff, and utilize their talent and expertise in a productive way;
- Strong interpersonal relationships and ability to work in a team environment of different cultures and nationalities;
- Competence in the use of water related models and software and their practical application in water resources management and development with experience in modelling water resources systems, manipulation; quality assurance and control of hydro-meteorological information, and use of remote sensing and GIS in water resources planning and development projects is an added advantage;
- Knowledge in Climate Risk Assessments for infrastructures such as multi-purpose reservoirs/dams including irrigation related projects is an added advantage;
- Fluency in English. Working knowledge of French is an added advantage;
- Knowledge of Development Partners s including but not limited to; (Sida, AfDB, World Bank, AFD,USAID, etc) project management procedures, standards and requirements is an asset;
- Knowledge and skills on resources mobilization and project concept notes preparation and project proposal development and
- Experience working in Africa, particularly the Nile Basin countries is an advantage.
- Performance indicators:
- Program objectives achieved at acceptable cost, time and quality standards;
- The program achieves satisfactory progress towards attaining stated results;
- Analytical capacity strengthened;
- Enhanced knowledge-based decision making tools;
- Establishment of a broader base of activities;
- Development of a strong technical capacity and reputation;
Other performance indicators to be added, as need arises.
6. Duty Station. The NEL SAP Program Officer for Water Resources Management and Development will be stationed at the NELSAP CU Secretariat, Kigali, Rwanda, but shall be travelling extensively in the Nile Equatorial Lakes Region.
7. Employment Terms. The appointment will be on contract for one year renewable based on performance with the initial 6 months as probation period. The contract shall be renewed for such a number of times to complete the entitled six years of service in NELSAP
Method of ApplicationInterested and qualified candidates are invited to apply by submitting a cover letter, curriculum vitae and academic documents including the date of birth and nationality by Tuesday 2nd February 2021 before 17:00hours Rwanda time, addressed to the Acting NELSAP Regional Coordinator, through email: [email protected] with copy to [email protected].
The e-mail application subject title should clearly indicate “NELSAP Program Officer,WRMD”. All applications must be delivered via e-mail to the addresses mentioned above. Only candidates who meet the requirements and are short-listed for the interview will be contacted.