Legal Officer at Pro-femmes/Twese Hamwe (Pfth)
- Company: Pro-femmes/Twese Hamwe (Pfth)
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Kibuye Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Rwanda
Pro-Femmes / Twese Hamwe (PFTH) is an Umbrella of Rwandan Civil Society Organizations aiming at the advancement of women’s status, peace, and development. It was established in October 1992, and currently represents 53 member organizations within the country. The mission of Pro-Femmes/ Twese Hamwe is to eradicate all forms of discrimination towards women, to promote their socio-economic-political and legal status, and to enhance the institutional and organizational capacities of its member organizations through the promotion of sustainable human development approach based on gender equality and a culture of peace, justice, and human rights.
To achieve her mission promoting the social-economic status of women in partnership with Initiatives for Peace and Human Rights (iPeace) and The Network University (TNU) with the financial support from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is implementing the project on “Empowering Women in Informal Cross-Border Trade in The Great Lakes Region (EWICBT)”.
The project activities will be implemented in Rubavu and Rusizi borders with the aim to contribute to the social-economic empowerment of women in cross border trade between DRC and Rwanda. This will be achieved through improving their business environment and increasing their income and their social-economic welfare. To accomplish this, the project is built on improving the legal and policy framework for cross border trade, providing access to legal aid services to women in cross border trade, strengthening their entrepreneurial and financial capacity, and increasing women in cross border trade’s access to Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR).
In line with the above background, PFTH is recruiting (4) four legal Officers. These will be field staff based at each border in the project coverage area (in Rusizi, Kamanyola, Rusizi I and II, and Petite Barrière in Rubavu).
1. Job description
Legal officer will meet with Women in Informal Cross Border Trade to gather information and take actions, advise them on the law and legal matters related to their case. Draft letters, contracts, or documents based on the client’s needs. S/ he will work closely with lawyers for cases that will require to be presented before courts.
2. Key duties and responsibility
- Receive Women in Informal Cross Border Trade and other legal aid service providers;
- Manage Women in Informal Cross Border Trade’s files in an ethical and professional manner;
- Give relevant legal advice and opinion on case of Women in Informal Cross Border Trade received;
- Perform due diligence on cases received and advice Management on any decisions to offer or not to offer legal aid;
- Identify and prepare cases for legal representation and handle them to lawyers;
- Accompany Women in Informal Cross Border Trade to any administrative institutions for legal advocacy purposes;
- Collaborate with other legal aid providers, at the border, district and others;
- Carry out mediation and reconciliation on cases that require and only if parties are willing;
- Prepare reports on cases for management;
- Organize legal aid mobile clinics in the community around borders and other project-related activities.
- A Bachelors’ Degree in Law;
- A minimum of 3 years as a practicing law/ advocate or delivering similar services in NGO or Government institution;
- Be passionate about legal aid services for the poor and vulnerable persons and access to justice in general;
- Knowledge of Rwandan legal framework on gender, GBV, Women rights, SRHR, and matrimonial and child protection;
- Skills and knowledge on Cross Border Trade laws, National trade policies and strategies, treaties and other frameworks within EAC and COMESSA countries;
- Be familiar with civil society works in gender, women empowerments and GBV prevention;
- Able to prepare legal opinions and briefs;
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimum supervision;
- An excellent written and oral communication skill in English, French, and Kinyarwanda, Swahili is an added value.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should address their application enclosed with a cover letter, Curriculum vitae, academic documents, and other certificates to the Chairperson of PRO-FEMMES/TWESE HAMWE and delivered in a single PDF document to PRO-FEMMES/TWESE HAMWE’s e-mail [email protected] with a copy to [email protected] not later than 14th September, 2020 at 4:00 pm. PFTH is an equal opportunity employer and Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
PRO-FEMMES/TWESE HAMWE head office is located next to Gahanga Sector Offices, Kicukiro district, City of Kigali.
The subject of the e-mail should be mentioned “Application for the position
Of Legal Officer”
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for a written test.
KIGALI, 3rd September 2020.
KANAKUZE Jeanne d’Arc
Pro- Femmes/ Twese Hamwe