Lecturer, Communications and Writing PIH at Partners In Health
- Company: Partners In Health
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Rwanda
Lecturer, Communication and Writing
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
Title: Lecturer, Communication and Writing
Department: Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Medicine
Reports to: Head, Humanities and Social Sciences
Location: Butaro, Burera District, Rwanda
The Lecturer in Communication and Writing will be responsible for developing and teaching English courses for the MBBS/MGHD (medical degree) and other UGHE programs, developing and leading the activities of the UGHE Communication and Writing Center, supporting the academic writing of students and staff, and supervising the training in the Kinyarwanda language for international students. The lecturer will be also be expected to act as a mentor for UGHE student.
· Work in collaboration with the Head of Humanities and Social Sciences and with the Educational Development and Quality Center to determine content, lesson plans, and teaching responsibilities
· Write and develop online or in-person course materials inclusive of assessments, syllabi, lesson plans, readings and teaching videos
· Create a wide range of activities to improve students’ written and verbal skills in English outside the classroom and across the Butaro campus
· Supervise, examine and grade students, and enter their grades into the UGHE Learning Management System (Canvas)
· Ensure alignment of content and curriculum with UGHE’s plans and international standards
· Where appropriate, develop revisions to existing courses and curricula
· Organize regular workshops and short courses to help junior faculty improve their writing skills in academic English
· Lead the Communication and Writing Center in collaboration with the departmental Academic Administrative Assistant and the UGHE Academic Librarian, and organize the center’s activities
· Supervise the training in the Kinyarwanda language delivered to international students by a part-time teacher
· Conduct various administrative responsibilities such as assessment of student progress, monitoring student attendance, validating candidature of students before exams, and evaluating the student experience at UGHE
· Participate in research at UGHE
· Carry out research activities and disseminate research findings through publications and presentations in conferences and seminars
· Advise students on their research projects to ensure their writings are up to the University’s standards
· Perform additional tasks as assigned.
· Excellent written and verbal English communication skills (native level)
· Minimum of a Master of Arts in Literature, Linguistics, Communication, or related field
· Teaching qualification in English as a Foreign Language (EFL) would be a strong asset
· Interest in medical education and scientific research
· Computer literacy, with proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite and Google suite, and familiarity with a Learning Management System such as Canvas
· Ability to multitask, work well as a member of a team, and demonstrate flexibility in a fast-paced work environment
· Ability to pay attention to detail and quality
· Results-oriented with adherence to deliverables and deadlines
UGHE is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Commitment to Safeguarding and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment:
At UGHE, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including community members – as well as our students, contractors, staff and visitors to our campus are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment and any form of systemic abuse, whilst reducing risk and vulnerabilities. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with UGHE’s policy. UGHE will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of fraud, harassment, sexual harassment and any form of systemic abuse or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 25th November, 2022.