IPC Specialist at IntraHealth
- Company: IntraHealth
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Kigali Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Rwanda
GOLDEN PLAZA, 3rd Floor
KG 546 Street 1
Tel.: + (250) 738795924
Job Opportunity: IPC Specialist
Why Choose IntraHealth
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work. Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we have built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective. Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
The USAID Ingobyi Activity is a five-year cooperative agreement to improve the quality of reproductive, Maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH) and malaria services, in a sustainable manner with the goal of reducing neonatal, child and maternal mortality in Rwanda. The Ingobyi Activity builds upon the tremendous gains Rwanda has made in the health sector as well as previous USAID investments in the health sector to provide a healthier, more productive future for all Rwandans. Ingobyi works to improve the availability, quality, and utilization of RMNCH, malaria services with resilience & sustainability and fighting against COVID-19.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Infection Prevention and Control Specialist will work under direct supervision of the Deputy Chief of Party/Technical Director, and close collaboration with MOH/RBC, to provide leadership and build capacity of health care providers in Ingobyi supported hospitals and health centers in infection prevention and control. The incumbent will work with other technical specialists to increase overall infection prevention and control capacity in supported facilities, and support national efforts in cases of disease outbreaks.
The Infection Prevention and Control Specialist is responsible for the following functions:
- Works in collaboration with other Ingobyi technical specialists and MOH/RBC counterparts to build capacity of supported hospitals and health centers in infection prevention and control;
- Provides expert guidance and skills development in the integration of IPC into RMNCH and malaria interventions;
- Assesses IPC capacities and practices in hospitals and health centers in Ingobyi supported districts/health facilities, and recommends improvements;
- Reviews IPC measures implemented by supported health facilities, coaches and advises health providers on how to strengthen infection prevention, including use of personal protective equipment where necessary, as part of ongoing capacity strengthening efforts;
- Reviews training needs, and based on findings, and together with facility-based trainers, conduct training in IPC for staff at district hospitals and health centers in Ingobyi supported districts to improve infection prevention and control measures;
- Provides technical expertise and guidance in the development of a national infection prevention and control strategy and guidelines, particularly the enhancement of standard precautions;
- Provides guidance on immediate IPC policies, resources, equipment and training needed for district hospitals and health centers to ensure adequate preparation and readiness for potential disease outbreaks;
- Manages any other emerging activities related to IPC at Ingobyi-supported health facilities, in coordination with facility management.
- Coordinates with MoH/RBC to develop guiding documents and national strategies to improve the IPC standards for use in health facilities.
- Coordinates/works with the MOH/RBC and the Emergency Operations Center (EoC) for disease outbreaks at the national level to ensure IPC priorities and activities are managed effectively within the national framework and in line with WHO IPC guidelines;
- Coordinates Ingobyi-led procurement and distribution of basic IPC commodities to health facilities, in collaboration with MOH/RBC and district hospitals in Ingobyi-supported districts; and
Monitoring and reporting
- Closely monitors progress of IPC activities in supported hospitals and health centers and supports facility IPC focal points and/or champions to address identified gaps;
- Documents and reports progress on IPC measures in Ingobyi supported districts to leadership and other stakeholders; and
- Identifies key areas of learning related to IPC.
The ideal candidate is expected to meet and or possess the following qualifications and requirements.
Education and training
- Degree in medicine or pharmacy with post graduate training in infectious diseases, infection prevention and control, epidemiology, or public health;
Experience and skills
- At least 8 years of experience as a trainer in infection prevention and control in Rwanda or the region;
- Extensive experience in developing, implementing and evaluating infection
prevention and control policies, procedures and tools in Rwanda or the region;
- Proven knowledge of infection prevention and control, preferably in the context of emergencies;
- Minimum 2 years of relevant working experience in IPC in hospital settings;
- Hands on skills in rapid assessment techniques, knowledge and skills in designing, planning, implementing and monitoring facility and community-based infection prevention and control interventions;
- Sound understanding of current policy developments related to infection prevention and control
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong organizational skills and an ability to work effectively in multicultural environment;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and Kinyarwanda – French language skills would be added advantage;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including MS Excel, MS Word and MS PowerPoint
- Strong skills in teamwork and networking;
- Solid skills in documentation and report writing; and
- Ability to travel frequently within the country.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Willingness and ability to travel within and outside the zone, and to work independently with all stakeholders
- Willingness to accept additional responsibilities
- Willingness to work overtime as required
Managing Performance: Ability to plan and design practices, processes and procedures that allow for effective management of people, resources and processes to optimize overall organizational performance. Managing for performance includes the ability to delegate and encourage growth and leadership across the team(s) as part of maximizing performance and productivity.
Strategic Thinking: Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Effective Communication (Oral & Written): Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Risk Management: Knowledge of processes, tools and techniques for assessing and controlling the organization’s exposure to risks of various kinds; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within assigned role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’ s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’ s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 7th May, 2021.