Farm Manager at Gahengeri Livestock and Poultry Farm
- Company: Gahengeri Livestock and Poultry Farm
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Rwamagana Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Rwanda
GAHENGERI LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY FARM
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR THE FARM MANAGER
Post: Farm Manager
Duty Station: Rwamagana, Muhazi, Karambi, Gahengeri
Supervises: All workers at the farm
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Gahengeri livestock and poultry farm is a private owned farm that has about 40 cows and with intentions of having over 60 cows, 100 Pigs and 15,000 Layer Chickens. The farm is situated in Rwamagana district, Muhazi Sector, Karambi cell, Gahengeri village with a branch in Kayonza District, Mukarange Sector, Nyagatovu cell, Iragwe Village.
Farm Manager will provide oversight, leadership, and strategic direction of the farm as well as ensuring that there is daily planning, work organization, activity supervision and all administration work of farm estates. It is his responsibility to ensure that the farm runs efficiently and profitably.
As a farm manager, he will need to:
- Prepare budgets, plan finances and production to maintain farm progress against budget parameters;
- Liaise with key rural professionals e.g. vet, suppliers, stock agents and contractors to ensure smooth operation of the farm;
- Operate farm machinery, make sure that there is adequate and high quality animal feeds and that animals and chickens well fed and on time;
- market the farm’s products in collaboration with the farm business supervisor;
- In collaboration Veterinary Doctor, Accountant and Farm Business Supervisor prepare the annual farm budget;
- Arrange the maintenance and repair of farm buildings, machinery and equipment in collaboration with the Administration and Logistics officer;
- Setting budgets and production targets in collaboration with the farm business supervisor;
- Plan activities for the staff under him, mentoring and monitoring their performance and ensure that they are motivated for better performance;
- Coordinate, maintain and monitor the quality of yield, whether livestock, poultry or Pig;
- Supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in raising poultry, collecting eggs, crating fryers, and maintaining equipment and facilities on poultry farm;
- Assign workers to duties, such as collecting and candling eggs, feeding and vaccinating poultry, crating and shipping fryers, and cleaning and fumigating chicken houses;
- In collaboration with the Veterinary Doctor, understand the implications of the weather and make contingency plans to ensure that productivity is not affected. This will include preserving animal feeds in order to avoid situations where animals and birds do not have feeds;
- Monitor animal health and welfare, and ensure that all veterinary high-quality services to the cows, Pigs and chickens are offered and on time;
- maintain a knowledge of pests and diseases and an understanding of how they spread and how to treat them;
- Ensure that farm activities comply with government regulations;
- Attend local meetings and contribute effectively;
- Apply health and safety standards across the farm estate;
- Protect the environment and maintaining biodiversity; and
- Managing any farm diversification activities that may arise.
- Provide outstanding management and mentoring to direct reports and to all Gahengeri Livestock and Poultry Farm staff.
- Partner with the CEO of Gahengeri Livestock and Poultry Farm regarding policies,
property maintenance and infrastructure projects.
- Participate in regular staff meetings.
- Attend professional development opportunities, as appropriate.
- Engage with other organizations and opportunities throughout the Karambi celL, Muhazi Sector, Kayonza District, Eastern Province and nationally.
Required Qualifications and Experiences
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made available to perform the essential functions.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience and a relevant university degree, within the fields of Livestock and Poultry farm management focused on agricultural and Livestock.
- Outstanding and proven skills in managing diverse teams with maximized productivity and efficiency.
- Passion for interacting with and educating community members, volunteers and staff of varied ages and backgrounds.
- Knowledge and passion for community farming, food systems development, etc.
- Strong knowledge of agricultural equipment uses and safety.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and relationship development skills.
- Ability to be open and flexible to new ways of working with diverse communities.
- Creative skills and ability to experiment to attain new, better strategies, approaches, and solutions to challenges.
- Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks along with an ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative, team environment.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Detail oriented.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s (A0) degree in sustainable agriculture, Agri-Business, Business Administration, Management, or related field.
- Experience with soil and water management.
- Experience working with livestock.
- Food safety training.
- Experience as an agricultural cooperative Manager or Farm Manager.
- Project management experience.
- Active listening and constructive communication techniques such as Non-Violent Communication,meeting facilitation,
Salary commensurate with experience.
Gahengeri Livestock and Poultry Farm offers a competitive benefits package.
Typical Working Conditions
The Farm Manager will work outdoors. There will be exposure to chemicals used in the agricultural and Livestock industry.
Method of Application
Please state the position for which you are applying in the subject line of the email before August 03rd,2021.
Agreed by Incumbent
Approved by Immediate Line Manager
Dr. William TWAHIRWA
CEO – GAHENGERI LIVESTOCK AND POULTRY FARM