Assistant Lecturer for Soft Skills / SCAD Project at Kepler/ Generation Rwanda
- Company: Kepler/ Generation Rwanda
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Kigali Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Rwanda
Job Title: Assistant Lecturer for Soft Skills / SCAD Project Location: Kigali
Employment status: Full – Time Contract type: Fixed term
Reports to: Manager for Special Projects Deadline: 24th August, 2021
Kepler is a non-profit higher education program that is building a transformative model of education-to-employment services for these young people across the region. Our ultimate goal is to contribute to the economic mobility of thousands of individuals, families, and communities in all of our countries of operation. We want to reimagine what higher education can look like in sub-Saharan Africa. Through a rigorous curriculum of in-person, online and on-the-job learning, Kepler students graduate with the relevant skills and the right attitude to meet the needs of the changing global economy. We partner closely with Southern New Hampshire University – a global leader in higher education – which allows our students to attain affordable, internationally recognized degrees while studying in East Africa.
Kepler launched in Rwanda in 2013. Our 50+ staff currently serve 550 students across two campuses in Rwanda – our flagship campus in Kigali, as well as a second campus in the Kiziba refugee camp in Western Rwanda, where we serve refugee learners. Currently, all Kepler students earn their degrees through our degree partner Southern New Hampshire University and that will continue to be a key part of the Kepler model. In parallel, we are working on developing a bachelor’s degree provided by Kepler and accredited in Rwanda. Kepler has an ambitious new strategy for the next five years, which will include launching in two new countries; expanding our academic offerings; partnering with other public and private sector universities, and reaching a new level of organizational sustainability.
The SCAD Project
In an effort to improve TVET employment outcomes and enhance teachers’ digital and English language competencies, Kepler is working with Rwanda Polytechnic to launch the Soft Skills and Career Development (SCAD) project. Under this joint partnership, senior leaders of Rwanda Polytechnic and Kepler have consulted about how Kepler could provide technical support on soft skills and career development to support TVET sector priorities in line with the Ministry of Education’s Education Sector Strategic Plan.
Leadership at Rwanda Polytechnic has identified needs for technical support in the SCAD project in several areas including digital, pedagogical, and language competencies among teachers and optimal system to support students’ career development. Both Kepler and Rwanda Polytechnic have reached a shared understanding that Kepler will provide technical support to Rwanda Polytechnic during implementation of the envisioned soft skills and career development program that will impact approximately 7000 students and 300 teachers and career staff across 8 IPRC centers in a period of five years.
The long-term goal of the SCAD project is to improve student outcomes by empowering TVET instructors to effectively implement and iterate on soft skills, career readiness and industrial attachment curricula that will prepare students for employment. The project will start with a pilot program at IPRC Gishari with the following as the major objectives:
- Prepare soft skills development modules
- Tackle teachers’ capacity gaps on teaching soft skills and career service modules
- Offer jointly with Rwanda Polytechnic teachers soft skills training and career services to RP students
In line with the SCAD Project, Kepler is looking for two outstanding candidates to fill the role of Assistant Lecturers for Soft Skills. The role will include designing materials for both teacher and student training and running coaching and ongoing support for Rwanda Polytechnic staff teaching in soft skills through the use of active pedagogy in order to improve employment outcomes for Rwanda Polytechnic graduates.
In addition, the Assistant Lecturer will collect data on a regular basis and will use the data to plan for student interventions based on their needs and advise both Kepler and Rwanda Polytechnic leadership on further interventions needed for better ways to support students for improved employment outcomes. In contrast to traditional lecturing positions, Assistant Lecturers at Kepler are focused on creating student learning experiences that are active and encourage students to be self-guided learners.
Reports to: Manager for Special Projects
- Create and/or modify lesson plans based on individual college needs using the specified format provided
- Offer training and coaching to Rwanda Polytechnic instructors in areas of active pedagogy, instructional technology, and soft skills teaching and learning
- Collaborate with assigned Rwanda Polytechnic instructors to co-teach soft skills modules to Rwanda Polytechnic’s final year class in compliance with terms and conditions of the SCAD Project
- Regularly evaluate student learning through competency/project-based assessments, including both formative and summative assessments and provide clear and actionable feedback to students
- Conduct and facilitate other forms of assessments as needed
- Utilize student data to make informed decisions to guarantee all student progress through the curriculum
- Conduct student office hours and create other channels for open and positive communication with students
- Advise and collaborate with both Kepler and RP staff on ways to improve curriculum and instruction based on data and observations
- Under the direction of the faculty leadership, collaborate with the Learning and Design team in planning and implementing new learning content
- Participate and/or co-lead various activities such as meetings, workshops and seminars as may be scheduled from time to time
- Undertake any other activities assigned from time to time by the Manager for Special Projects
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a field of study relevant to Leadership and Management, Communications, Education, or other related fields, a Master’s would be preferred
- Experience in helping others learn (either in a formal education setting or less formally through mentoring, management, coaching, etc.)
- Experience in program or training curriculum development, either in academic or other professional settings, ideally with a focus on employability and using competency/project-based learning
- Demonstrated adaptability and commitment to innovation in Learning and Teaching pedagogy
- Experience evaluating the effectiveness of programs and making recommendations for improvements
- Demonstrated ability to manage and maintain positive external stakeholder relationships
- Previous experience as a former Kepler Course Facilitator/Instructor, Teaching Assistant, Learning Assistant, or Senior Learning Assistant
- Knowledge of professional or soft skills most sought-after by employers in Rwanda and East African region
- Demonstrated ability to be strict with students while keeping a positive rapport
- Ability to identify and support students based on their various learning needs
- Good command of English as a language of instruction
- Solutions-driven attitude and resourcefulness to navigate challenging and ambiguous situations
- Critical thinking abilities and attention to detail
- Functional knowledge and/or personal experience with technology: Microsoft Suite, Google Drive, and Google Chrome
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proven ability to work independently as well as work collaboratively with colleagues to productively contribute to teams
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills plus outstanding moral judgement
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects and competing and conflicting priorities in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Willingness to frequently travel and work outside of Kigali
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Health insurance
- 18 days per year for annual leave
- Additional days of vacation during December and April break
Method of Application
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter and cv/resume through BambooHR. Applicant
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
All applicants must apply using our online application system, CVs received via email or standard post will NOT be considered. Deadline for applying is 24th August 2021 before the end of the day, all late applications will note be considered.
Kepler values diversity as a paramount aspect of growth and provides equal opportunities. Discrimination against employees based on gender, race, religion, physical abilities, social status, beliefs, and cultural values is strictly forbidden.