Senior Legal Officer at EAC-CASSOA, Headquarters
- Company: EAC-CASSOA, Headquarters
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Rwanda
The Civil Aviation Safety and Security Oversight Agency (EAC-CASSOA) is a self accounting institution of the East African Community. The Agency is looking for a highly motivated, result-driven and qualified professional from citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda and United Republic of Tanzania to fill the following position in the Agency.
|JOB TITLE:||Senior Legal Officer|
|REPORTS TO:||Executive Director|
|DUTY STATION:||CASSOA Headquarters Entebbe, Uganda|
2.MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Senior Legal Officer will be responsible for overall management of the Legal Services and provision of advice to the Agency on all legal matters.
3.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides timely legal advice and guidance to the Executive Director;
- Provides statutory advice and guidance on EAC Laws and Rules of Procedure during Board and Technical Committee meetings;
- Provides legal advice and guidance during negotiations and drafting of Contracts, MoU’s, Loan and Grant Agreements;
- Liaises with Partner States’ Authorities and Institutions on legal matters concerning the Agency;
- Liaises with the Counsel to the Community (CTC) on all EAC matters that have a bearing on the Agency;
- Represents the Agency in courts for all legal matters;
- Coordinates with Partner States Authorities in charge of civil aviation in formulation of policies, laws and regulations in the area of aviation safety and security;
- Ensures compliance of the Technical Department in the formulation of Civil Aviation Safety and Security regulations for consideration by the Board;
- Liaises with Partner States Civil Aviation Authorities to ensure compliance with the Chicago Convention;
- Provides legal advice to the Agency in relation to matters concerning administration and employment, interpretation of labour laws and reconciliation matters.
- Provides legal support with regard to the interpretation of the EAC Treaty, the CASSOA Protocol and CASSOA Act.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
4.QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters’ Degree in Law from a recognised institution;
- Must possess a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice and registered as a Practicing Advocate in any EAC Partner State.
- Trainings in air law and regulations is an added advantage
- Trainings in legal drafting is an added advantage
- Chartered Secretary
Five (5) years’ experience in the field of law as a legal practitioner;
- Experience working in aviation sector and drafting aviation law/regulations is an added advantage
- Experience in research and articulation of regional best practices in harmonization of national laws in the area of civil aviation safety and security
- Experience working within a large aviation-related international organization.
- Experience in organizing and managing technical groups, symposia, workshops and seminar.
- Experience in using word, excel and power point
- Experience with aviation related regional or international organization.
- Experience in taking Board Meeting Minutes
4.3.1 Professionalism: Knowledge of EAC laws, regulations, legal practices and procedures. Observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
4.3.2 Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others; exhibits interest in having two-way communication; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
4.3.3 Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
4.3.4 Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
4.3.5 Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvement.
4.3.6 Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules;
5. ELIGIBILITY FOR APPLICATIONS
This vacancy is open to citizens of the Republics of Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda and United Republic of Tanzania.
6. TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The above is an established position within the Agency’s organization structure and is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once subject to satisfactory performance and age limit requirements.
7. EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
All candidates applying for the above position must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner States. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
8. RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
9. SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS
The established position offers a competitive salary and attractive fringe benefits including house allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme and insurance cover among others.
10. AGE LIMIT REQUIREMENTS
Applicants should not be more than 55 years old by 1st September 2019.
Method of Application
Interested candidates who meet the requirements are advised to send their application letters, duly filled and signed EAC-CASSOA Personal History Form, photocopies of academic degrees, professional certificates/licenses and a copy of national identity card, birth certificate or passport showing the date of birth not later than 11th October 2019, quoting the job advert reference number of the position applied for. The applications should be sent via email (all soft copies should be in MS Word or PDF) or in hard copies and addressed to:
THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR EAC CASSOA P O Box 873, ENTEBBE UGANDA, Email: [email protected]
- The recruitment of the above job will be subject to the EAC Quota system.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not indicate nationality and age, the reference number, a signed application letter, duly filled and signed EAC-CASSOA personal history form , do not include copies of academic degrees, other professional certificates and three referees shall be disqualified.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.