Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (ME&L) Advisor at Chemonics Soma Umenye LLC
Welcome to JobWebRwanda. This website helps you to achieve your career dream by linking you to vacancies from Top Companies in Rwanda. Job Seekers are also exposed to best articles for career growth and development. Click Here to Subscribe for Job Alerts We strongly advise graduates not to pay money before getting a Job. Report fraudulent jobs to [email protected]
- Company: Chemonics Soma Umenye LLC
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Kigali Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Rwanda
Scope of work
Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (ME&L) Advisor
Project: Rwanda Soma Umenye
USAID Soma Umenye is a five-year project that aims to improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda. Covering all 30 districts of Rwanda and working in close collaboration with the Rwanda Education Board (REB) and the Rwandan Ministry of Education (MINEDUC), USAID Soma Umenye will contribute to Rwanda’s Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) and the Government of Rwanda’s national development priority of ensuring that Rwandan primary-grade students acquire the fundamental competency of literacy so that they can succeed in future schooling and, later, in the modern workplace.
Soma Umenye aims to achieve the following two goals.
- To improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children (unique direct beneficiaries) in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda by the end of P3; and
- To ensure that at least 70 percent of P1-P3 students are able to read grade-level text with fluency and comprehension.
To achieve the above goals, it requires close collaboration with all education stakeholders under the technical leadership of MINEDUC and REB.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Set up the MEL system
- Support the Director of Monitoring Evaluation, and Learning (ME&L Director) to establish and manage a monitoring and evaluation system to track progress towards meeting program/contract deliverables, results, indicators and targets.
- Review the project contract and other background documentation such as the client’s strategic objectives, results framework, MEL plan, and country strategy to understand how the project helps to achieve the client’s goals.
- Work with the ME&L Director to support the field team in refining the project’s results framework and participate in work planning sessions.
- Support the development of the project’s MEL plan by helping to identify indicators and completing indicator reference sheets.
- Support the ME&L Director to ensure project staff in the field and home offices understand the importance of monitoring and evaluation and the use of information for learning purposes; Support the ME&L Director to ensure the project’s staff understands their roles and responsibilities in the collection of data for the monitoring and evaluation system.
- Ensure that all Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs), services agreements, or other contractual arrangements with partners stipulate their responsibilities for data collection and monitoring.
- Design and share databases and spreadsheets as well as formats for reporting information.
Implement the project’s approved MEL plan
- Support the ME&L Director to ensure that M&E activities under this contract are in accordance with USAID regulations, USAID Education technical requirements and meet reporting timelines as described in sections B, C, and F of the project contract.
- Organize the collection of baseline data and the setting of targets. In cases where baselines and targets are not yet possible, describe “next steps” the field team must take to identify them. Oversee the collection of baseline data.
- Organize the collection of data in accordance with the MEL plan.
- Ensure data quality and integrity by periodically conducting field visits (data quality assurance exercises) and spot checks to verify data and investigate any data anomalies.
- Identify and track reliable secondary (external) sources of data as needed.
- Support the ME&L Director to conduct periodic training for project staff, stakeholders, and/or partners. Share information to help them monitor the progress of their work and use the data for strategic decision-making.
- Continuously review indicator achievements to date against set targets, including reporting to senior management on any indicators which may exceed targets by more than 10 percent or may fall short of targets by more than 10 percent.
- Maintain the MEL system, periodically evaluate its effectiveness, and adjust as necessary to provide the project with accurate and useful data.
- Set up and maintain the ChemResults system and create periodic and on-demand reports
- Contribute to the development annual work plans and review the relevance of the MEL plan against these work plans.
Communicate MEL information
- Compile and analyze relevant data on project indicators for contractual reports.
- Provide as-requested MEL data to the client in a timely manner.
- Regularly communicate progress against targets to project staff.
- Support project communications staff to disseminate lessons learned and best practices to internal and external stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Oversee and guide the work of the Monitoring, Evaluating, and Learning Specialist, ensuring it supports the goals of the project’s approved monitoring and evaluation plan.
- Conduct other tasks as requested by supervisor or chief of party.
- A Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in the social sciences or a related field and at least 5 years of experience working in monitoring and evaluation for donor-funded projects, or a Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID reporting and data quality requirements or experience working with another donor in an M&E capacity.
- Demonstrated knowledge of necessary computer, database, and analytical skills, particularly in issues related to monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong data collection, management and analysis skills (both qualitative and quantitative), with experience using STATA, SPSS and/or R preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite and online survey platforms. Experience using SurveyCTO preferred.
- Data visualization skills, with experience using PowerBi preferred.
- Strong writing skills and ability to synthesize MEL findings into clear, concise summaries.
- Demonstrated project management skills, experience in working with field teams and on collaborative efforts.
- Demonstrated experience with qualitative software(s).
- Must be familiar with USAID Education Strategy Technical Notes regarding monitoring and evaluation of Goal 1 activities.
- Experience tracking equity in learning outcomes among boys, girls, and children with special needs preferred;
- Demonstrated exemplary diplomatic, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
Level of Effort and Location of Assignment
This is a long-term position and the location of assignment is Kigali, Rwanda with intermittent travel throughout the country.
The MEL Advisor will report directly to the Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning or his/her designee.
Expected Salary: Commensurate with salary history and experience.
Only shortlisted applicant will be contacted
For more information about Chemonics International visit www.chemonics.com