Gis Operator at Akagera Management Company (AMC)
- Company: Akagera Management Company (AMC)
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Kigali Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Rwanda
LOCAL JOB ADVERTISMENT
Akagera Management Company (AMC) is seeking a suitable candidate for the positions of GIS Operator at Akagera National Park. The candidate must be technically skilled with good problem-solving ability. The duties of an GIS operator include GIS data maintenance, analysis, entry, and conversion; perform data research, investigation, and verification; assist with solving technical problems and determining possible solutions.
GIS operator is expected to display good interpersonal skills, as he will interact with colleagues from various departments and at executive levels. GIS Operator will be required to listen to their needs and provide the necessary support.
Duties and Responsibilities of GIS Operator
- Ranger based monitoring and facilitate rangers with GPS basic skills
- Ensure proper filtration and accuracy of the field data collected
- Updating ArcGIS Shapefiles and mapping of any park and surrounding features
- Promote and support safety and security of wildlife resources and tourists
- Using desktop GIS to analyse data and create maps for internal purposes,
- Supporting in the development and management of GIS applications that are based on growing and improving park demands;
- Ensure mapping of all patrol operations, illegal activities, key species and fire in the park;
- Ensure radio reports of each post daily, monthly reports of all the posts submitted and compiled correctly;
- Be in charge of all information to and from the rangers and fence attendants and be able to disburse the information to the end user
- Monitoring and data entry of digital systems and not limited to Smart Parks, Earth Ranger, Conservation Intelligence Platform (CIP), Mototurbo, Cybertracker, AWT, Savannah Tracking
- Daily monitoring and reporting of key species
- Maintain field data collection apps and create new Arc GIS surveys when necessary
Suitable candidates for position of GIS Operator must meet the following criteria:
- A Degree in Geography with GIS applications, or any advanced GIS related Degree
- GIS application capabilities
- Possess strong IT skills.
- Can manipulate complex databases.
- Are highly detail-oriented.
- Are clean writers and thoughtful communicators.
- Can problem-solve individually and on a team.
- Fluent in English and/or French/Kinyarwanda
- Analytical mindset and strong ability to prioritize
- Prepared to live onsite
- Between 20 and 30 years of age.
- Rwandan and from the region
- Ability to transfer knowledge efficiently
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills.
NB Applications that are not meeting the above criteria will not be considered.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should forward their application letter together with all relevant documents to the email address provided below no later than 11th February 2023, Female candidates are encouraged to apply. The required documents should be submitted in scanned soft copies in pdf format (preferably as one document) on [email protected]. Successful candidate will begin with an immediate effect.
Applications must include the following documents:
- Application cover letter addressed to the Park Manager
- Stating where you heard about the position and why you should be considered
- Curriculum vitae including your personal details, education level and any experience
- Name, address and telephone numbers of three (3) references
- All the documents should be in one pdf document and named after your name and position, for example: Name, Akagera GIS operator, 2023.
Done in Akagera National Park on 17th January 2023