A Professional Event Manager for Regional project at GIZ Rwanda
- Company: GIZ Rwanda
- Location: Rwanda
- State: Kigali Jobs in Rwanda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Rwanda
A Professional Event Manager for Regional project “Support to the “International Conference on the Great Lakes Region”
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
In the framework of a multilateral commitment towards the promotion of peace and security in Africa, GIZ – German Development Cooperation – supports the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) in implementing its Pact on Security, Stability and Development in the Great Lakes Region.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the professional event manager has the following functions and responsibilities:
- Oversees and leads on the administrative and logistical organisation of the project activities and events in ICGLR Member States (trainings, workshops, conferences etc.);
- Prepares budgets and provides financial oversight and follow-up of project activities and events
- Initiates and oversees procurement processes in line with GIZ rules and regulations
Besides other duties within the context of the program assigned to the expert, s/he will fulfil the following tasks in close coordination with her/his superior:
Administration and Logistics
- Lead on the administrative and logistical preparation and implementation of program activities
- Prepares check list of events setting out roles and responsibilities and deadlines prior to the event
- Organises booking of travel and accommodation, including preparation of travel requests,
- Prepares logistics notes and agenda (with support of component leaders) and liaise with participants on logistics and conditions of participation
- Drafts and sends out invitation letters, confirm participant’s attendance and compile final participant lists
- Ensures security requirements of respective GIZ Country Offices are in place
- Provides logistical support during the activity/event
- Ensures proper documenting and filing following the activity and event for audit purposes
- Initiates and oversees procurement processes in line with GIZ rules and regulations:
- Liaises with respective country offices where the event takes place on the procurement of conference rooms, accommodation package, etc and complete required documentation
- Coordinates contracting of interpreters and translators/facilitators/consultants, including drafting of ToR, completing procurement documentation, contracting etc.
- Orders office supplies and training/pedagogical materials when necessary
- Liaises with contractors on submission of final reports and ensures contract modalities are respected.
- Supports component leaders in drafting detailed budget for activities/events to be validated by Head of Admin/Finance
- Requests proformas and invoices for conference venues, hotels etc.
- Checks/signs invoices and support participants in filling out travel expense forms during the event
- Manages all related tasks regarding reimbursement of travel costs for participants and follow-up on payments with respective Country Offices
- Follows-up on payment of contractors upon presentation of final invoices and reports
- Ensures sound filing of financial aspects related to the event/activity
- Planning and organizing – ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan;
- Political Sensitivity – understanding of politics and state functioning in combination with diplomatic appearance;
- Self-Management – Excellent ability to deliver results independently, on time, and according to highest quality standards;
- Project management and administration – good analytical and problem-solving skills including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of issues/problems;
- Communication – good verbal and written communication skills as well as ability to draft/edit a variety of written reports, studies and other communications in French and English;
- Technology awareness – fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software (MSOffice) and other applications;
- Teamwork – good interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Travel – willingness to travel frequently within the African Great Lakes Region, if needed over weekends.
- Key Qualifications
- At least three (3) years of relevant work experience in the area of event management, logistics, administration
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Office, Skype, etc.);
- Open minded, respectful and confident personality in combination with very good negotiation and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural team;
- Languages: For the post advertised, fluent oral and written French and English is required. Knowledge of other languages (Arabic, German, Kirundi, Portuguese, or Swahili) is a plus.
- University degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in Management, Economics, Finance, Law, or related areas is a plus
The expert will be based in Kigali / Rwanda with frequent travels inside and outside of the Great Lakes Region. The expert will spend up to 40 percent of her/his working time travelling outside of Rwanda.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates and references) until 28th February 2020 at 4:00 PM, by e-mail to [email protected] The email attachment (max. size 2 MB) should be a PDF file. Please quote the job title in the subject
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please, let us know if you have any particular requirement should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to take into account when considering your application. Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview